New TV aerial Bishop Stortford www.andysaerials.com

Posted by in Blog | September 23, 2013

New TV aerial Bishop Stortford www.andysaerials.com

New TV aerial Bishop Stortford www.andysaerials.com

Still enjoying the warm weather our 1st job of the day was for a new TV aerial Bishop Stortford, the houses did not seem to be high but once we extended our triple ladders to the gable end of the property, it soon became clear the house was high.  With the ladders nice and securely now up to the top of the gable end and tied to the roof rack of the van, I went up and took some signal readings as I was seeing huge ultra-high gain aerials and some were mounted vertically, which indicates to me it is a poor signal area, and a filla station has being used.  As always when I’m not too sure I took up my test aerial and with it connected to my spectrum analyser I rotated it 360 degrees and look at all the available signals.  Much to my surprize I found the London signal was ok, all balanced, a little weak but perfectly workable with a masthead pre-amp.

New TV aerial Bishop Stortford www.andysaerials.com

I decided to stay with the log-periodic w/b aerial and attached it to an 8ft 1” ½ alloy mast and taped it down.  I had already decided I was going to mount the new TV aerial on the gable end as the stack did not have many brick courses free and would not accommodate one of my large chimney cradles, and the roof would have suffered damage trying to access the chimney stack.  I was happy with the wall bracket, and fitted it approximately 6 brick coursed down from the apex to guarantee strength and support of the brick courses above, however once I started drilling I was not over the moon with the brickwork under the render, as the drill was going through the gable end like butter.  I changed the depth of the holes to accommodate larger coach bolts; I carry 3 sizes on my van as I like to have and assortment.

New TV aerial Bishop Stortford www.andysaerials.com

With the wall bracket finally secure I dropped the new TV aerial into the U’ bolts and pinched them up to support the aerial, and plugged the aerial coax lead into my spectrum to align.  I grabbed every db. and tightened the U’ bolts securing the aerial mast.  I went down to my van and fetched the correct masthead pre-amp required with the signal readings I had taken.  With the masthead now fitted and secured to the aerial mast all I had to do was run the new aerial coax lead to the TV.  With the new aerial coax lead inside the house I fitted the 12v power supply unit and set up my customer’s TV for them, and looked at the pictures.  I re-checked the signal again, and happy with it I packed away and cleared up.  Next call Sawbridgeworth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *